Sunday, July 13, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday- Lime Life



My little lime tree is doing so well- with lime life in all stages! This tree is a "Mexican Lime" or key lime as commonly known.
It flowers and fruits repeatedly rather than just giving me one crop of fruit per year, the way my other citrus trees do. This means that there are flowers, and fruit in all stages on the tree at the same time.


Here are some teeny tiny little baby limes just getting started!
The biggest of these is getting almost big enough to eat. I have an incredible recipe for Key lime pie: Key Lime Endeavor with White Chocolate Macadamia Crunch, that is just out of this world- I have been using this recipe for years and it is an all time favorite-I can't wait to make it with fresh limes!


The little bee in this picture took me by surprise- I hadn't noticed him buzzing around me and suddenly there he was in the view finder! He was busy though doing his thing, and didn't care much about me!

Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows
for more information!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really considering getting a key lime tree. How well do they do with the cold? Is it something I would bring into the basement during the winter?

Aiyana said...

Do you have this in a container or in your garden? I thought about growing one, but since they are supposed to be the more frost sensitive of the citrus varieties, I thought maybe a container would be better. Happy GTS,
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

That's great that you live in a warm enough area that you can grow citrus fruit. It's too cool here for that, but I suppose if I had a bright enough room I could grow a lemon or lime tree - probably without fruit though.

kesslerdee said...

This lime is growing in my yard- it was here when I bought my home and I believe it is at least 10 years old.
It is frost sensitive- in fact this is my first crop in two years as the winter before last I lost almost all of the upper branches during a freeze- I trimmed them away and it came back more beautiful than ever! Most winters though, the cold has not been a problem.

Teri said...

Looks like a wonderful tree to grow...your own built-in Margaritas, just add tequila! :0

Eric Bronson said...

Looks like your doing better than me can't get mine to set fruit yet. Great post!