Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!
I am ever so thankful that after most of November passing in a blur for me, life is finally going to settle down a little and I can have a little time for flower sniffing! My "pies" are coming for a late Thanksgiving on Sunday, and I am looking forward to some much needed time off. We are having rain for Thanksgiving here in Tucson, with some colder temps as well. It should drop below 40 at night but not yet freezing. I am not looking forward to freezing at all!

The garden has been doing very well without my attention and the week has brought a few surprises with it.
A neighbor gave me the potted Wandering Jew plant below. I was so surprised to see the little flower on it the other day. I guess I knew these did bloom but I've not seem many actually blooming so it was a treat. I think the contrasting purple colors between vine and bloom are just amazing.

The little snail vine I planted at the base of the bird feeder suffered a good deal of transplant shock. It probably didn't help to have birds trampling it down but after a few months, it has valiantly recovered. I noticed it put out the very first bud, since being planted. I can't wait to see the first flower.

I was happily surprised to find this little dahlia growing in my front flower bed. The pink dahlia I had purchased had never done well in the pot, and it finally seemed to die. I planted the root-ball, although all the top stems had died, in the front flower bed. I really didn't expect anything to grow but I am thrilled that it is. I hope it survives the winter. We really haven't had any truly cold weather yet.


The Sky Flower is putting out the first "golden dew drops". See the little green fruits on it? They should turn a golden color.
The Tangerine tree gave a great crop of fruit this year. They are fat and juicy and taste amazing!


2 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

So uplifitng to see your garden growing and blooming...and fruiting!... this time of year, when all of us up north are battening down for winter.

Julie said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! I love Wandering Jew also. They are considered a weed here in south Florida and very invasive...but I still love them! So sweet to look at!