Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Signs of Spring

For Bloomin Tuesday, my reliable little Parodia, that never seems to be too far away from a bloom. These started opening about a week ago and a third bud is forming quickly.

Last summer I discovered a little sprout growing in one of my vines (Epipremnum aureum) I had no idea what it was or how it would grow but I left it alone, and it grew all summer, and into the fall, with beautiful green leaves. Come winter it lost all the leaves and now that Spring has arrived the first little buds of green are showing. I decided it was overdue to have its own pot, so this last weekend I split it off from the main plant and potted it up. Here is the root it had!

And here is the tiny bud of a leaf starting.

And here it is in its new home.
My guess is that this little plant is a Hibiscus- based purely on the leaves it had last summer. They have the same shape and feel as my Hibiscus plants. I can't wait to see if I get any blooms.
Spring is showing up in so many places in my garden, and it is hard to contain my excitement. The picture below shows a few of the many passion flower buds forming on my office window vine.


And this picture is the Hydrangea starting to leaf out.

Hope it is bloomin where you are at! To see other "Bloomin Tuesday" posts please visit Ms "Green Thumb" Jean.

9 comments:

Anne Fannie said...

Your garden is starting to scream spring! I love that bloom on your cactus plant!
Happy Bloomin' Tuesday....
~Ann :)

Carla said...

Your header looks like very well protected pineapples! Don't you love a new find??? Ahhh the mystery! May it totally wow you:) Love your new buds and growth!

playsdolls said...

Your cactus blooms is so pretty,you have a start to Spring in your garden.

Jean said...

Nothing bloomin' in western NY! It will be fun to see what you have growing in the mystery pot. The cactus is lovely! Jean

Unknown said...

It is so hard to contain the excitement this time of the year. Great plants here!!

Suzanne said...

Lucky you -- things leafing out already! Gives me hope!

Diane AZ said...

Pretty cactus blossoms! Your hibiscus, passion flower and hydrangea must be loving our warm weather this week.

Phoenix C. said...

Those blooms are lovely. I love this time of year when buds are forming and everything suddenly starts growing.

Aiyana said...

Hi Dee,
I sure wish some of my cacti would bloom. I have one that has buds, but no flowers yet. (The hard drive on my new computer was defective, so they had to replace it. I've been without a computer for close to a week and so I missed Bloomin' Tuesday this week.)
Aiyana