Friday, March 6, 2009

Hoover Dam for SkyWatch Friday


When I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago, I made a side trip to Hoover Dam. It was impressive- immense- almost unbelievable to see. The huge sculpture were equally fascinating. I think the plaque said they are the largest bronze castings in the USA. They were big and beautiful. This first one above is my picture this week for SkyWatch Friday!
And another view is next.
Both angels guarding the flag.

A view looking out over the river.

The sign below commemorates the men who died building the dam.

I thought these old pictures and newspaper clippings about the men who worked there were pretty cool. They were preserved in the table tops at one of the local stores.
Dam Men to Eat A Ton of Turkey!


Happy SkyWatch Friday! To join in the fun and see the sky from all parts of the world please visit the awesome folks at SkyWatch Friday.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Impressive castings indeed, and what a beautiful blue sky!

Deb said...

Those are really great photos, thank you for sharing

Louise said...

Very cool SWF post. I loved my visit to Hoover Dam, although I couldn't believe how hot it was there. (Late July.)

Teri said...

These are all beautiful shots and impressive angles.

Julie said...

I hope to see Hoover Dam one day! Beautiful. So sad about the lost lives!

Claude said...

Great pics of the dam... I've never got to see it, but I've had it on my list of things to do if I get out that way for a long time.

Wonderful old newspaper pics too.

Anonymous said...

The statues are wonderful art of the era! And those turkey-eating men - I hope there were more of them than in the photo, or else that's an awful lot of turkey per person, even for hard-working "dam men"!

Diane AZ said...

Magnificent artwork! The blue sky really adds to the beauty. I've never been to Hoover Dam, and appreciate visiting through your photos.