Monday, December 7, 2009

Owls Eye Cactus

I didn't think I had much new going on with my cacti until I noticed this little guy has a whole bunch of buds forming.  It was labeled an "Owls Eye" cactus, which is also the label on the last pictured cactus.  I did a little research and I think this first one is a Mammillaria karwinskiana.  

It does have the Owls Eye pattern on the top but not as pronounced as the other one.



I think this one is a Mammillaria microthele.  It bloomed last summer.

To visit other blogs with wonderful cacti art and photography please visit "Teri's Painted Daisies" and have a very happy Cactus Monday!

10 comments:

marianne said...

Wow such a funny cactus!
Great pictures!
HCM!

Debra Kay said...

OH, OWLS and CACTUS-two of my most favorite things!

Pea said...

very cute! looks like a owl indeed!!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What an interesting cactus. I love the name of it too. HCM.

Teri said...

Oh wow, very unique! I don't think I have ever seen one like this either. I learn something new every week here.

HCM

Chris said...

Cool cactus!

Unknown said...

Wow, lots of flowers soon!!! Happy Cactus Monday!

Leslie said...

Aha! I have one of those (Mammillaria karwinskiana) too and it's been doing the same thing lately. Blooming like crazy. Have never bothered to look up what it is, so thank you for the identification.

Deb said...

how cute....

Kathie Brown said...

I have not heard of an owl's eye cactus. How interesting!